Monday, November 12, 2012

What We've Learned - November 12, 2012

So...What Have you Learned?

Michelle (7)
1. We are learning to spell vowel-consonant-e words with blends.
2. I am writing full sentences from dictation at the end of the spelling lesson.
3. I am copying stories in cursive in my copybook.
4. I am trying to solve the word problems you read from your Kindle.
5. I read with mom from Climbing Higher.

James (4)
1. I am learning to read.
2. I am reading my new book about Jam. [All by himself! - I'm a proud Mama!]
3. We did a math game - the one that we play like Skipbo.
4. We have learned songs - "Le Petit Poisson" and "Vole, Vole Papillon"

Elizabeth (2-1/2)
"A, B, C, D, J, J."   (Followed by a rousing rendtion of the alphabet song!)

Mama (??)
Okay, nerd alert here. ;-)   One thing I've found very interesting to notice as I've studied French this year is the similar roots between certain French and English words.  Even more interesting is noticing that there is even a stronger relationship between certain words the way they were used 200 years ago (as in how they were used in a Jane Austen novel.)  For example, I have always sort of puzzled over the title of Sense and Sensibility.  In our modern English usage, someone who is "sensible" is someone who has good sense, right?  Here is where French enters in.  The French word "sensible" means someone who is emotionally sensitive.  Aha.   The perfect contrast between Elinor (sense) and Marianne (sensible, in the French sense).   Interesting, huh?  Okay,  maybe not.  But don't say I didn't warn you!

Hope you've have a good learning week in your home!

2 comments:

  1. You might love reading King Alfred's English - I'm almost done with it and have loved learning the history of English (and how French had a major influence at a particular period of time). It is a great history read. I got mine for Kindle on Amazon for about $6, in print it is about $17. Loving it and plan to reread right away.

    Oh, and there is a ton of free lessons to go along with it for older students on the author's website, http://www.theshorterword.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tristan...I'll have to check it out. It does sound interesting. =)

    ReplyDelete