Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Winter Weather Walk

It was very timely that last week's Outdoor Hour Challenge was to take a simple walk to observe and enjoy the weather.   This was irrresistibly easy for us to do because it snowed on Friday.  Really snowed.  Good and hard from about 9am until late in the afternoon.   A good 4-5 inches accumulated here in town, and I'm sure much more outside of town in the mountains.


We had hoped we would get a good snowstorm before we left for the tropics.  We got our wish.


You might recognize this tree from our tree study.

Someone asked me if my kids had ever been in snow before.   I think they have been...twice.  The first time was really only a dusting on the ground that melted in about an hour.   The second was a smaller snowstorm shortly after we arrived here at the end of January.





They were, in Michelle's words, delighted with it.   We took some time to read The Story of Snow.  Michelle made me promise to take this book to Africa with us "so we don't forget what snow is, Mama".   Yeah, I think we can manage that. =)


Michelle recorded the event in her nature journal.  Her entry reads "It's snowing today!  We saw snow today.  We even played in it.  We had a fun time playing in the snow.  But mom said she was getting cold."  (Yes, I admit I like snow better from the window with a warm drink in hand!)

7 comments:

  1. It just snowed here too - yay! We didn't think it would snow before Christmas. The girls had a wonderful time making their first snowman. But I'm with you - a warm cup in hand from a window :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting. =) Ours has mostly melted now...it's making me kind of sad. We're hoping we might get a bit more in the next 3 weeks before we leave...not sure if we will or not. But one can hope. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time to be outdoors...at least for a little while. :)

    I am so glad your kids were able to experience snow and your daughter's journal is priceless.

    Thank you so much for sharing your link with the OHC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the contrast from our snow in the woods, to yours in the city. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your children look absolutely enchanted! I just love the pure delight on their faces. Thanks for sharing your wonderful winter weather walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to visit France. The pics we usually see are warm, sunny day scenes for tourist publications. It was interesting to see a snowy France for a change! Blessings upon your move and God's leading in Africa!
    My lastest post Lamest Thrones

    ReplyDelete