Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Family Reading #10

 
Wow.  It’s been way too long since I updated on what we’ve been reading at our house.  So here it goes…
 
Picture Book Highlights
A recurring favorite lately has been Horton Hears a Who!  James’ birthday books have also been a hit: St George and the Dragon, The Kitchen Knight, and Chanticleer and the Fox.   I’m also venturing into chapter books with my littles.  Our current chapter-book readaloud is The Milly Molly Mandy Storybook.
 
Michelle’s Reading (Age Almost-8)
Michelle is becoming something of a voracious reader.  In my last Family Reading Post, she had just started Little House in the Big Woods.  She has since read through almost the entire Little House Series (up through Little Town on the Prairie), several of the All of a Kind Family Books, and is just now almost finished with Ballet Shoes.  I love that she is loving all of my childhood favorites…all of which were recommended to me by MY mother because they were her childhood favorites too.  Love it, love it, love it.
 
Featured School Book
One of the changes I made to AO’s reading list for Year 1 was to save Paddle to the Sea for later (we’ll read it together as a family during our next home assignment) and instead we have been reading about the Arctic and Antarctic regions.  We are currently enjoying The Eskimo Twins.  (I would suggest reading this together with your children and discussing it though – it goes into some of their traditional, animistic practices.)
 
Bedtime Reading
We are all loving Ginger Pye!   They all ask for it every night, right down to the 3 year old. 
 
On Mama’s Nightstand
When do I ever not have too much on my nightstand? HA!  Currently, I am spending the most time with the Charlotte Mason 20 Principles Study as well as my self-study of AO Year 4.   My current novel is Waverley…also reading along with a group on the AO Forum.  (Goodness, am I really that much of an AO Forum groupie!?)  Waverley is a tough read, and very slow moving in the beginning…I probably would have bailed a lot sooner if not for reading along with a group.  Now that I’ve hit chapter 42, I’m having a hard time putting it down.  Over the weekend, I had to force myself to read something else, so as not to get TOO far ahead of the group, so downloaded The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for something light.  I loved it.  It was a charming story, and a pleasurable pause from all the heavier reading I’ve been doing lately.
 
 
So there you have it.  Anyone else been reading something interesting lately?
 
                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment