Friday, January 3, 2014

Books to Read in 2014

So, I usually post my “best-of” booklists after the fact, but this year I have been jotting down titles here and there of things that I would like to read sometime in the coming year.  These are largely based off recommendations and discussions over on the AO Forum. J  This probably isn’t exhaustive of everything I may read this year…actually I know it's not exhaustive since I have already jotted down several other titles of interest in other folks' year-end book posts between writing and publishing my list. :)  But hopefully having a list to work from will help me to be more conservative with my Kindle downloading habits....(you know, finish something off the list before I go downloading something else...)
 
Educational Philosophy
  • Desiring the Kingdom (James K.A. Smith) – hoping to participate, or at least follow along with, Mystie’s book club
  • The Living Page (Laurie Bestvater) – this is a new book out, and I have heard NOTHING but good things about it.  Can’t wait for my copy to arrive in our next sea freight shipment.
  • School Education, Volume 3 (Charlotte Mason)
  • continue The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to be an Educated Human Being (edited by Richard Gamble)
 
Biography/Memoir
  • Writings of Amy Carmichael
  • Writings of Isobel Kuhn
  • Surprised by Oxford (Carolyn Weber)
 
Christian Living
  • The Christian Life and Children of the Living God (Sinclair Ferguson)
  • The Hole in our Holiness (Kevin de Young)
  • Concise Theology and/or Growing in Christ (JI Packer)
 
Fiction
  • Hannah Coulter or another novel by Wendell Berry
  • Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) – I read this in high school, but a recent discussion on the Forum made me realize that I probably missed a lot as a 15 year old. J
  • Persuasion (Jane Austen) – another re-read.  This is my favorite novel of hers, I think.  Actually I may try to re-read all of Austen this year.  I'm feeling inspired...
  • Something by Dickens – maybe Nicholas Nickelby or Little Dorrit, anyone have a favorite to recommend?  (My lit-major sister says Bleak House is her top pick...)
  • Something by P.G. Wodehouse
  • Le Temps des Secrets and Le Temps des Amours (Marcel Pagnol) - these are the third and fourth books in his series Souvenirs d'enfance.  I read the first two (La Gloire de mon Père and Le Chateau de ma Mère) during our time in France and thoroughly enjoyed them.  I've really dropped the ball at reading in French, as much as I do enjoy it, and would like to pick it up again.  I have the film adaptions of the first two as well that I want to watch first to refresh my memory.
 
Self-Education
  • continue Ambleside Online Year 4, and then move on to Year 5
  • The Iliad (Homer, translated by Fagles) – this is our first official book discussion over at the AO Forum this year.  We start January 4 if you want to join us!
  • How to Read a Book (Mortimer J Adler)
 
What do you have on your list to read this year?

2 comments:

  1. What a great list! Persuasion is my favourite Austen novel, too. My list this year is pretty short...I'm participating in the Charlotte Mason study on the AO Forum, so that will mean volumes 1, 3, 6, and 2 this year. I don't have firm plans on many more books. A few people have recommended The Spark by Kristine Barnett, and I'm hoping to pick that up from the library sometime soon. I'm finding it hard to read much these days with a 5, 3, and 1 year old. I'm inspired by your list to re-read something on my shelf from Ferguson or Packer.
    I just stumbled on your blog, and I'm enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nelleke. :) I'm glad to find another fan of Persuasion.

    And hang in there - I didn't have much reading time either when mine were all 5 and under either. It does get better as they get older. :)

    ReplyDelete