Wednesday, May 20, 2015

From My Commonplace: The Lord is My Shepherd

You may have noticed things are a little quiet around here.  It's likely to be that way for a while yet.  Our family is flying back to the States in a couple of days to stay for the coming year.   These past few weeks have been a flurry of packing and tying up loose ends of our life here, and the weeks ahead will be filled with transitions, traveling, and joyous reunions with family and friends we haven't seen for 3+ years.    I will try to pop in every now-and-then with some Words I've been reading (cross-country car travel this summer = reading time for Mama!) and some pictures of what we've been doing (cross-country car travel also = lots of 'field trips'!)  
 
My Words for this week come from a Psalm which often feels over-familiar.  But as I read it this week, I was struck by it in a new way.   It spoke to me with some of the struggles and transitions we have been facing as a family….and will continue to face as we return to the States in this week.
 
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
~Psalm 23 (ESV)
 
He promises His care and provision for my physical sustenance and the restoration of my soul.   He guides us in His paths of righteousness – not only does He guide us to do what is right, but following His path also leads to righteousness.  When we are faithful to do and go where He calls, that leads to our sanctification.  And no matter where that path takes us, even into the 'valley of the shadow of death' – He promises to go with us. 



My Bookbag This Week:
Devotional: Easter Devotions in Living the Christian Year (Gross)
Theological or Christian Living:  The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction (Ferguson)
AO Book Discussion Group: Beowulf
On Education: How to Read a Book (Adler), A Philosophy of Education (Mason)
Topic of Special Interest: Galileo's Daughter (Sobel)
Novel/Biography/Memoir: Re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series (Montgomery) - everyone needs some comfort reading every now and again, right?
Read-Alouds with the Children:  The Last Battle (Lewis), Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan)



 
 
 
Click Here for more Words 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your travels & time away Jen. That Psalm never gets old. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with Carol, there is always something new to Ps 23. Remember even in flux he leads us beside still waters.

    ReplyDelete