Wednesday, June 8, 2016

From My Commonplace: To Navigate the Future

"In the convex driving-mirror she could see, dwindling rapidly, the patch of road where they had stood; and she wondered why it had never occurred to her before that you cannot successfully navigate the future unless you keep always framed beside it a small clear image of the past." (p.61)
 
~Jan Struther, Mrs Miniver
 
(This is a delightful little book of – essays? Vignettes? Snippets of life? – of an ordinary housewife in the days leading up to the outbreak of World War II in England.  I'm not sure I remember where or why I picked it up now, but it was a lovely book to read and a reminder to savor the ordinary things of marriage and family life. Recommended if you stumble across a copy somewhere.)
 

 
My Bookbag This Week:
Devotional: Galatians with the Paul for Everyone Commentary (NT Wright)
The Daily Office Lectionary Readings and Prayers from The Trinity Mission
 Theological: On The Incarnation (St. Athanasius, with introduction by CS Lewis)
AO Book Discussion Group: I Promessi Sposi (Manzoni)
Personal Choice: Oliver Twist (Dickens - Pre-reading for Year 5)
Parents and Children (Charlotte Mason)
Poetry: Collected Poems 1909-1962 (TS Eliot)
With my Hubby: Emma (Austen)
Family Read-Aloud Literature: Little Britches (Moody)
 
*I am also reading Charlotte Mason's Volume 6 for a local CM book club, but these meetings are infrequent, and it is my third – or fourth? – pass through it and so I just read the brief section assigned as our meetings come up.   
 


 
 
 
 
Click Here  for more Words
 

No comments:

Post a Comment